1. What is the working title of your book? INK
2. Where did the idea come from the book? I was walking around Southpoint Mall in Durham, NC. They have amazing statues of happy children playing. My YA mind started churning about missing children instead. Warped, right?
3. What genre is your book? It's a Young Adult mystery.
4. Which actors would you choose to play the characters in a movie? I have no idea, but if we could work in a cameo for Matt Damon, I wouldn’t complain. ;)
5. What is a one sentence synopsis of your book? Fresh out of juvie and living on the streets, Mazie is searching for the kidnapped daughter of the firefighter that died in the flames Mazie started.
6. Will your book be self-published or repped by an agency? I’m seeking representation for it and hope to see it traditionally published.
7. How long did it take you to finish your first draft? I think the first draft took about 6 months. I worked my tail off. I have spent many more months revising though.
8. What other books would you compare yours to in this genre? I think INK would appeal to fans of fast-paced contemporary YA, such as Lisa McMann’s WAKE trilogy. As for movies? It has a bit of a Shawshank Redemption feel to it—especially at the beginning.
9. Who or what inspired you to write this book? The story just came to me. I did name an awesome character in honor of my favorite high school teacher who passed away last year. I think she’d be pleased with her namesake and hopefully with my story.
10. What else about your book might pique a reader's interest? Much of the story takes place in and around a tattoo shop. I hung out in one to do field research. Tattoos fascinate me.