Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A PitMad Victory, A Winter's Hibernation, And POOF! It's Spring!


Today there is a feeding frenzy happening on Twitter called PitMad. Some writers knock contests saying that they are time sucks and that writers should stick to querying agents they've researched. I think that advice is only half true. Writers should always research an agent before deciding whether or not to submit pages to them. Just because someone has Twitter followers and an agency, doesn't mean he/she is a good agent or a good agent to represent your writing.

But contests can be amazingly helpful for writers hoping to find agents. You see, my fabulous agent Laura Zats found me because of last fall's PitMad.

*stops to do the Peanuts' happy dance*

It's true! I pitched my young adult suspense ASHES AND INK, and Laura Zats requested a partial...followed by a full...followed by a request for a phone call which led to an offer. Some would argue that I could have found her on my own, but here's the thing: It hadn't been announced that she was an agent yet. *gasps* That's right! I snagged a ninja agent that I would have never known was an option had it not been for pitching ASHES AND INK into the PitMad frenzy. So I researched her, emailed her references, and signed with her a week after our phone call. Initially, I was going to take two weeks to decide, but we clicked so well, and I loved her ideas and enthusiasm so much, I could not wait another week to team up with her and Red Sofa Literary.

This led to my winter hibernation from my blog. On top of being a driven agent, Laura Zats is an extraordinary editor. She sent me fantastic revision notes to help fix plot holes, draw out scenes, and make my YA shine. So that's where I've been. Hibernating in my revision cave. And now that my manuscript is polished and pretty, I get to work on my next one.

Good luck, PitMad peeps! I know it seems crazy to throw your manuscript into the Twitter rapids, but wonderful things can happen! So take a chance, do your research before hitting send, and know that I'm cheering for you!

Comment and tell me your Twitter handle if you're participating in PitMad. I'd love to see your pitches and cheer you on!

To read the interview with Laura Zats and myself, check out Jamie Corrigan's big reveal.

12 comments:

  1. Congrats, and thanks for the encouragement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I love how supportive writers are of other writers. It's a great community!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I gave it a shot today @MarkcusDunn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! And that's an awesome story. I'm @RenaTheWriter but my next bit of query bait isn't really ready for prime time (but pitmad calls my name!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Markcus! And way to throw yourself out there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Rena! Wishing you the best as you work on readying that manuscript!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soooo proud of you! A&I will be on the best sellers list before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Donna! You are an amazing critique buddy, prayer partner, and friend. I'm proud of you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura,
    I don't Twitter, but I won't say I'll never...You know how to talk it up! I am so happy Twitter helped bring you an agent you love. Great to hear that you've completed your book revisions and are busy writing another book. Yay! Your blog followers are ready to hear more when you have time to share.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved reading this Laura! Congrats in a big way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much, Linda! I think when it comes to social networking we need to each find where we're comfortable. Twitter is my favorite when it comes to networking for writing, but there are others (like Google+) that I've abandoned.

    As a tiny hint about my new WIP, I'm hoping to do some field research within a home security company for a contemporary YA suspense. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Joyce! I hope you are going great for you too! :)

    ReplyDelete